Welcome

I decided to create this site so that I can chronicle my never ending learning experiences. My primary discipline is competitive trail riding however I am interested in pursuing other disciplines including classical dressage. I have studied natural horsemanship for nine years and it has shown me how important a solid foundation is for both horse and rider. I have a passion for educating others and enjoy working with "problem" horses. My goals are to always remain open minded and to never stop learning.

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Session Two

I had some time to play with Eclipse today and we had a very productive session. I noticed that he was uncomfortable with the carrot stick around his back legs (he would kick out and jump away at the same time) so I spent a good amount of time desensitizing him to that. He became more confident in this session but I definitely want to expose him to this and leading by the leg as I can only imagine how he would react if his leg were to get caught on a vine or something. Next I decided to try some lateral flexion and although he was confused at first, he picked it up rather quickly. I asked Eclipse for some circles as well and he stayed left brain the majority of the time. Currently I am just working on "don't change direction" and have let him pick gait; he tries to come in or stop sometimes when he is behind me but other than that he did well. Eclipse is a lot of fun to play with and he is getting more confident by the day.

1 comment:

Fran said...

Okay, so, you do not know me--buuuutttt...I just found your blog on the savvy club forum (I'm Fran, aka Darkhorse on there) and I'm looking at your photos, and Eclipse looks startling like my levels mare! Very handsome boy! Just wanted to pop in and say that!

Stay Savvy, and check out my blog if you want :)

Fran