Welcome

I decided to create this site so that I can chronicle my never ending learning experiences. My primary discipline is competitive trail riding however I am interested in pursuing other disciplines including classical dressage. I have studied natural horsemanship for nine years and it has shown me how important a solid foundation is for both horse and rider. I have a passion for educating others and enjoy working with "problem" horses. My goals are to always remain open minded and to never stop learning.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hoof Dissection

This past weekend was part two of Marian Figley's natural hoof care clinic. My original plan was to attend both days of the clinic which would include trimming (Saturday) and dissection (Sunday) however due to limited finances I decided to forego the trimming. The tools for the dissection were nippers, box cutters, and strength. As it turns out, even unhealthy hooves are pretty darn tough and it was a real workout removing the sole and hoof wall. After that, the work was less physically demanding and consisted of more intricate cutting with box cutters. I had a really good time at the dissection and learned a lot.

No comments: